Moving my Oscar

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Oscar_Meyer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscar_Meyer created the topic: Moving my Oscar

So, I just recently purchased a 75 gallon aquarium for my 10 inch O and my 4 inch Jack Dempsey. I’ve alreat started cycling my tank and it has a little longer to go, but before then I have a problem I need solved. As of now I have worms in my last tank which I’m almost positive orginated from my Dempsey. I’m wondering if there are any ways to not cross contaminate my new water with the old tank water introducing my lovely O into his new tank.? Any response would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 598

Suprd71 replied the topic: Moving my Oscar

Depends on what kind of worms you have, but a salt solution in the water should kill them off. You dont want any of your old water in the new tank anyways. Curious as to how you are cycling. Are there new filters on the 75? What is your ammonia source for the cycle?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscar_Meyer replied the topic: Moving my Oscar

I just bought a new fluval 406 canister for the 75. I started the cycling by introducing small increments of flake foods to the tank. Also, maybe I’m a horrible fish owner considering I’ve had my oscar for so long ,but I’m not quite sure what you mean by “my ammonia source” I apologize

The bacteria you are trying to develop, completing a cycle, feeds off ammonia, turns it into nitrate. In an established, running aquarium the fish produce ammonia thru their respiration and waste production. In a fishless tank with new filters, you have to provide an ammonia source. Not very efficient trying to seed a medium sized canister with a dash of flake food. Could take months. To make this transition almost immediately, all you need to do it run whatever existing filters you currently have on the new tank with the new 406. Your new filter will seed itself in a good timeframe, the filters from the old tank will maintain while the 406 catches up. Monitor water for several weeks while this all takes place. Any signs of ammonia or nitrite, do a big water change to remove these toxins. Simlpy, move filters and fish to the 75 all together, keep an eye on water parameters. I must also add that the 75 should hold Oscar only. Another territorial cichlid constitutes an overstock. A well cared for Oscar will outgrow a 75 within 2yrs. Maybe keep the Jack in its current tank?

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Alright I think I almost understand. As of yesterday, I started the process of de-worming my tank by increasing the water temp every 2 hours by 1-2 degress until it hits 86. I'm going to try to kill off all of the worms in the old tank first. So, are you saying i should bring my old filter to the new tank along with the fish or that I should put the 406 with my past tank to catch it up? I do really appreciate the help btw.

Couple of things.... heat alone prob wont kill the worms. If you want them gone quick, add 3 tblsp of aquarium salt per 10g of tank water. Not all at once. Bring it up to full dose over about 48hrs. Don't want to shock the cichlids. Leave that about 3 days, gradually reduce the salt content by doing 50% daily water changes. Your fish will appreciate the added room of a bigger tank, so when its move time, move filter and fish into the 75. Another option to speed things along is to get your hands on some established bio media. Have any friends with tanks? Local aquarium clubs? Local fish shops? If you could get even a handful of ceramics, put that into the 406, cycle will complete quicker. If you get some, you need to make the move quickly so as to preserve the beneficial bacteria

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Does it necessarily have to be aquarium salt or can it be your regular old NaCl (sodium chloride)? I don’t have any friends that own tanks unfortunately, but I’m constantly telling them they should get into the hobby. Sorry for trying to be so thorough but when you say full dose do you mean all of the salt proportional to the amount of gallons or just 3 tablespoons per 48 hours?

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Additional question, what would be the simplest and least harmful way of moving my huge O?

As stated before, depends on what kind of worms you have. Do you know specifically? Can you show some pics, or at least give a detailed description? Table salt, no. Rock salt or pickling salt yes. Full dose over 48 hrs. 3tblsp at a time, several hrs apart perhaps. What size of tank are you dosing? To move your HUGE,lol Oscar a big net will do. Remove anything from the tank that he may injure himself on. Deco, rocks, wood etc. Take the water level down to enough to float him, scoop him up. If you don't have a big net, you can use a towel or pillow case, sling style. Remove the JD first, little fella may get run over by Oscar. 10in Oscar btw, is a small to average adult. 14+ins are the biggies. I have moved Oscars that size with a 12in net... carefully.

• Oscar_Meyer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I currently have them in a 55 gallon tank ,which is why I want to move them so urgently. I don't think I've fully understood, do I need to wait until the new tank is cycled or should I just move them in right now? The worms are small round and pinkish, and they like to gather at the top above water and swim around aimlessly under the water line. I just bought the API master freshwater testing kit so I can do at home tests instead of running to Petsmart. I'll pick up some aquarium salt tomorrow as well. About the huge I guess I rated his size a little too big, but every time I see him I just love to see the big beautiful hunk floating around.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds